ARTHRITIS IN THE FOOT
Understanding & Treatment Options for Arthritis Pain
ARTHRITIS IN THE FOOT
What is Arthritis in the Foot?
Arthritis in the foot is the inflammation of one or more joints causing pain, swelling, stiffness, and loss of function. It usually affects people over 50 as the joints become worn over time or after an injury. Arthritis can result in loss of mobility but early diagnosis and treatment can help alleviate symptoms. If you are experiencing arthritis symptoms, schedule a consultation online today with one of our premier podiatrists in South Florida to explore proper arthritis treatments.
Causes of Arthritis in the Foot
Arthritis is associated with many different illnesses so the cause is dependent on the type of arthritis. Risk factors include genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors such as:
- The body’s response to physical injuries, especially in athletes and industrial workers.
- Bacterial and viral infections that affect the joints like pneumonia, gonorrhea and staph infections.
- Exposure to cigarette smoke, air pollution, insecticides, mineral oil and silica.
- The abuse of prescription drugs and illegal street drugs can induce arthritis.
- Defective genes caused by congenital autoimmune disease syndrome.
Symptoms of Arthritis
There is no known cause arthritis but research has concluded that an abnormal response in the immune system causes inflammation and joint damage. More common symptoms of arthritis in the foot are:
- Chronic joint pain, tenderness or stiffness
- Swelling in one or more joints
- Redness or heat in a joint
- Limitation in joint mobility
- Skin rashes and growths
Ways to Treat Arthritis
Studies show that early remission can minimize joint damage and prevent loss of mobility. Common treatments for arthritis in the foot are:
- Control inflammation to prevent joint and organ
- Relieve symptoms with over-the-counter pain medications
- Physical therapy and exercise to improve joint function and mobility
- Orthotics or prescribed shoes for those dealing with feet problems
Surgery for Arthritis in the Foot
In more severe arthritis cases, our doctors may suggest the following surgical procedures:
- Ankle Joint Fusion: This procedure is used for smaller joints. The surgeon makes a small incision on the ends of the bones in the joint and locks them together to heal into one solid unit. This helps stop the pain and inflammation to improve joint mobility.
- Ankle Joint Replacement: This procedure is used for larger joints. The surgeon removes the damaged joint and replaces it with an artificial one. This stops the pain and inflammation while reducing the stress on the joints of the foot.
How to Prevent Arthritis in the Foot
Many types of arthritis are not preventable. Self-management techniques such as proper exercise, weight management, avoiding injury, abstinence from illegal drugs and early detection can improve joint protection for those who are at risk or already suffer from arthritis.
If you are experiencing arthritis symptoms in the foot or ankle, schedule an appointment online or over the phone at 305.853.5151 with one of our premier podiatrists in South Florida to explore the proper arthritis treatment for you.
New & Returning Patients
Securely fill out patient forms, request an appointment, and send us important information prior to your visit with our HIPAA compliant patient resources.